The kaserne were Merrell Barracks was
located is known as the SS Kaserne which was one of the Nazi's kasernes.
The formal name of the kaserne was the Sued Kaserne.
The Nazi's were in this kaserne until 1944. The
kaserne was built for the SS Signal School and a SS Signal Reserve Unit.
Soldiers from the kaserne were used to support the Nürnberg rallies.
The post was captured by American soldiers in
April 1945 and renamed Merrell Barracks after Private Joseph F. Merrell.
Pvt Merrell won the
Congressional Medal of Honor for heroic actions near Lohe, Germany in
April of 1945. He was a member of Company I, 25th Infantry,
2nd Infantry Division.
The 2nd Armored Cavalry
Regiment occupied the kaserne for almost fifty years.
Merrell Barracks was returned to the German Government in September 1992
after redeployment of the Regiment to the United States in July 1992.
This part of the website is being built to provide former and present
military personnel and their dependents that were once stationed at
Merrell Barracks a place to get in contact with each other, their German
friends and share their comments and photos. Nürnberg residents and
the people of the surrounding area are welcome also.
"Merrell Barracks may be
gone, but we can keep it alive with our stories, photos and by sharing
Barracks website was started about 2 years ago. When it
started out it looked like this page, but within a couple of months the
guest book and message board started filling up and photos coming in
from everywhere. Now the site has over 1000 photos. The
visitors to the site say they check it out 2 or 3 times a day.
From the stats on the site, it gets about 300 visits a day.
Ferris Barracks is in the
lead on this website also. Already have two pages of photos sent
in and a promise of more to come.
Anyone have anything they would like to see on this
site, email to:
All photos you would like to see on this site email to: