Anyone having photos of the Army Hospital in Nürnberg
and would like to share, please email them to:
A lot of people who where
stationed there would be happy to see them.
The US Army Hospital, Nuernberg was the first German Army Hospital to be
built after the renouncement of the Treaty of Versailles.
Construction was begun in 1934 and completed in 1937. The building
was personally dedicated by Adolf Hitler. The hospital was
controlled by the German Army District Surgeon and operated by personnel
of the German 17th Infantry Division Medical Detachment.
During World War II, the hospital was expanded to serve 1500 patients in
the Main Building and 500 more in temporary buildings. In the
closing months of the war, the six story central section was bombed
causing severe damage which was not completely repaired until March
1947. The Hospital came under the control of the US Army on the
20th of June 1945, when elements of the US Army occupied Nuernberg.
On the 24th of June 1945, the 116th General Hospital set up operations
in the Main Building. Since 1945, the Hospital has been occupied
by various US Army Hospital units. The last being the 98th General
Hospital Nuernberg with a 175 bed patient capacity.